Friday, January 16, 2009

My Journey

For a long time now, I've thought of creating a blog for people who are coming to fitness relatively late. They may have been involved in fitness activities in the past, but have neglected it. Or, like me, they may not have started any kind of exercise or nutritional awareness until later in life.

I've been at it now for a few years, first through martial arts, and more recently through weight lifting. My main qualification is myself. I've lost about 60 pounds in the last year and a half, and am keeping it off without any real struggle (at least at the moment--"if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall," I Corinthians 10:12).

I have a couple of advantages over many of you. I live in a a rural part of a small third-world country where we have no access to fast food (very little access to any kind or restaurant food) and little prepared food. We make most our food from scratch. I have also found a form of exercise that I enjoy. However, periodically we return to our home country (the U.S.). During that time we travel extensively doing public speaking. When we do, fast food establishments are very convenient and tempting. Our hosts when we speak always try to feed us "well". That translates into feeding us a lot of not-always-so-good food. During those times it is very challenging to find a place and time to do my favorite exercise. So I will have some challenges ahead. I can't promise how well I'll handle them.

In a sense, no one has "arrived" at a final fitness destination. When you quit progressing, you fall back. But this blog is not mainly intended for those who have been on their fitness journey for a long time, and are a long way along. It's for those of us who are starting out, just finding our way. We need help and support. We need each other.

So this is not about the destination so much as it is about the journey. Let's walk this road together!

Please feel free to post comments, questions or to share your ideas thoughts or concerns. I'll answer as best I can. Also, feel free to answer other people's comments. Blogger does not provide a very obvious comments link, so I'll try to add a big, obvious one. I do allow anonymous comments--just sellect "anonymous" in the window that asks you to identify yourself. However, if you use a name, nickname, screen name or something to identify yourself, I can reply specifically to your question or comment.

COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS

1 comment:

Peter D said...

I think this blog is a great idea, Doc. Let me know how I can help.